This blog comes with a warning; I’m not pulling any punches, I’m not going to be politically correct, and I’m not sugar-coating a single word. Judge me, criticize me, correct me, curse at me, unfollow me or block me – it is all been done by others already, and it isn’t going to stop me. Actually it emboldens me to continue the fight. So, here it goes…
Have you ever heard the saying ‘going to hell in a hand-basket’? Have you ever wondered where that saying came from? I have, even though I have repeated it a number of times.
By definition a hand-basket is a small basket carried in the hand; let’s say, like an easter basket. So, to be ‘carried’ infers you are giving no resistance and just going wherever you are ‘carried’. Subsequently, in this instance, the person or organization is being carried to hell without resistance.
WHO in their right mind would just be carried to hell without resistance? I tell ya what, no one is taking me hostage in a basket, let alone carrying me to hell, without a heck of a fight! And yet, it has become plain as day that so many in our nation are doing just that – going to hell without a fight.
Political party loyalty vs. kingdom loyalty
When political party loyalty supercedes kingdom loyalty, you are under the influence of the leaven of Herod. If you are a Church leader and you are doing this I would venture to say you are also under the influence of the leaven of the Pharisees, considering they were ‘in bed’ with the political party that gave them power. And that, my friends, is your handbasket. You are being carried away by a political influence that is counter to the Kingdom, counter to God’s complete word. You have partnered with half truths and a mixture of politics, culture, and a form of religion.
The idolatry of self
I have heard just about every argument out there, from ‘christians’ defending a particular political party’s stance, but when none of the issues and arguments can be founded in the complete word of God, they begin the typical and predictable deflections of the Old Testament, or the reinterpretation of words to match current culture, or a brazen attack on Christianity itself, as being outdated and a frail archaic belief for the weak-minded – and we need to ‘evolve’ into the ‘new christianity’. Right, whatever. What it really has become is a religion that matches their belief vs. doing the difficult work of wrestling with the scriptures and being changed by the experience. It becomes idolatry; ‘my way and understanding is better than God’s – He couldn’t possibly be/think/act the way you say because that is offensive to me. Therefore God must conform to what I believe is right.’ WOW…. how do you think that is going to work out for you in the end?
Who I am….
If you have been following my blog and my activism for very long you will already know a few things about me; I am a wife, mom, entrepreneur, and an activist that is ridiculously passionate about the family. I am a Christian, I am a conservative, and I am currently voting on republican platforms because, at this point in time, those platforms tend to be more scripturally and biblically sound. But I will always reserve the righto to vote with any platform, regardless of party, if it is based on scriptural truths. Because my primary loyalty is to the Kingdom – period.
What I believe….
I believe ‘as the family goes, so goes the nation’. I believe men and women have to be healthy, whole, and embrace their God-given design. I believe in order to have a strong marriage men and women are designed to be equal partners, and it is God’s design to have them partner in a way that exploits each other’s strengths and covers each other’s weaknesses, not the other way around. I believe men and women have to have a strong marriage, built on a foundation of God’s Word, in order to be healthy and effective parents. I believe effective parents will in turn raise up healthy and strong boys and girls, that will become the next generation of leaders in both Kingdom and secular positions. I believe every life is equal and has equal rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness regardless of age; preborn-100+ years old, and regardless of the 2 genders that God created. I believe marriage is defined as a holy union, a covenant, between one man and one woman, and anything else is merely a legal partnership and I don’t really care how secular systems acknowledge them. And I believe all of this is founded on the complete word of God.
And, in context with this post, I believe in voting for the platform that most closely aligns with these Kingdom principles regardless of what party they may label themselves as.
The Democratic hand-/basket/-case
So, here I am not pulling any punches. I’m just going to say it. As of today; If you are a christian and you are loyal to the current democratic/liberal/progressive party I would take a long hard look at the policies you are supporting and know that your ‘christianity’ is highly questionable. We have 11 commandments to live by, and to vote by. I could easily point out how the democratic party is currently breaking and/or twisting just about every single one of those commandments to serve their own purpose and push their platforms.
The 11 Commandments
- You shall have no other Gods but me. A ‘god’ is one that is recognized as a ruler and source of all moral authority; a supreme being with the ‘final word’ on something and deserves worship, a show of reverence and adoration. In other words anything or anyone that you choose to ‘believe’ other than God’s word. One that you show reverence to, let’s say by voting, is actually a god in your life.
- You shall not make for yourself any idol, nor bow down to it or worship it. The key here is ‘make for yourself’. This is a construct of man, and this construct is one that you submit to and give reverence/respect to and ‘raise up’. This could easily be a political construct, a personal belief system and justification that is counter to God, a financial construct, a familial construct, etc.
- You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God. The name of God holds all power, authority, and shalom within it. This isn’t about throwing the word ‘God’ in front of another word like ‘damn’. This is about the abuse of authority when you have been given His name and are using it for your own gain or to mislead others. When Christians take a position AS a christian but within a political party that goes against the character of God, they are misrepresenting and misusing the authority given to them through His name.
- You shall remember and keep the Sabbath day holy. This is about a mindset of ‘keeping’ that which is consecrated separated to God. Yes, this can be a ‘day of rest’ to honor God – but that is extremely oversimplified. This isn’t about a particular 24 hour time period, but of an overall mindset of not mixing that which serves God’s plans and purposes with that which serves man.
- Respect your father and mother. To respect your ‘mother and father’ is to esteem or acknowledge someone’s position of authority over you. This has obvious biological references, but it is not only referring to biology. We have been given mothers and fathers in our church, in our work, in our community, and over our nation. It does not say ‘respect your respectable father and mother’; your opinion of their character is not a pre-qualifier to your commandment to give respect.
- You must not commit murder. Murder is the action of taking another’s life with malice and/or forethought. It does not prequalify by age, by gender, or even by crime. It simply says – do not make a plan and carry out the action of taking another’s life.
- You must not commit adultery. Adultery is defined by any sexual activity between that of a married person ad someone other than their spouse. When you couple that with Matthew 5 27 “You have heard that it was said to those of old, ‘You shall not commit adultery.’ 28 But I say to you that whoever looks at a woman to lust for her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. Therefore this commandment is going to be applicable to all usage of pornography and fantasy.
- You must not steal. To steal is to take something that is not yours. This has vast implications particularly when the action is habitual or regular practice. Even the reappropriation of taking something from one person to give it to another, like robin-hood or socialism, is a form of stealing.
- You must not give false evidence against your neighbour. Some translations say ‘false witness’. This is when you present something as a first-hand knowledge fact, when in-fact you are not able to give a first-hand account; you were not a personal witness to that which you are making a statement/judgement on.
- You must not be envious of your neighbour’s goods. You shall not be envious of his house nor his wife, nor anything that belongs to your neighbour. Most often we see the term ‘covet’ here, which goes far beyond just being envious. It is not good enough for you to have what your neighbor has, but you want what your neighbor has to be taken from them and given to you. Today we often see this in position more than in property.
- You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself. This is our greatest commandment, but it is not our ONLY commandment. This greatest commandment is the foundation in which all of the other commandments should be grounded upon.
Who & What are you aligning yourself to?
So, how is it that you are still aligning yourself with an organization that goes against the most basic principles of God, and still call yourself a christian?
Platforms vs people
And, to add to that, there are individuals in all political parties that do not align with these commandments. I will go as far as to say I believe most politicians have highly questionable morals and integrity. However, I am not voting for a pastor or spiritual leader that will lead me into all truth. The only ‘person’ I hold allegiance to is Jesus. I am voting for a platform. The ‘person’ that is pushing the platform forward is the one I will vote for and pull together with. What platform are YOU voting for? What is their biblical standard?